If you are getting bullied:
- Ignore the bully. Act like it doesn’t bother you. Oftentimes, the bullies are doing it for attention. If they realize they don’t get any attention for being a bully, hopefully they will move on.
- If that doesn’t work, tell someone. Arguing with the bully can just make it worse(if you feel safe standing up to the bully, it is okay. But be careful). IT IS NOT WRONG TO TELL AN ADULT.
- Avoid the bully when at school. Being around the bully, trying to engage them in conversation or be their friend, will just make matters worse. Why would you want to be around someone that doesn’t like you for who you are?
- Remember that you do not deserve to be bullied. Nobody does. You deserve to be treated with respect. Find friends that like being around you, or join a school organization that interests you. This is a great way to make new friends with similar interests!
If you see bullying:
- If the bullies are your friends, step in and tell them that what they are doing is wrong. Tell them that there is no reason to be mean to another person for being different.
- Give the person being bullied an offer of friendship. Remember that everyone wants and deserves a sense of belonging. It may turn out that you have a lot in common with the person being bullied.
- If you need to, tell someone. If the bullies refuse to stop, or you are worried about how the victim will react, you need to alert an adult. Bullying is unacceptable, and if you cannot stop it, there is no shame in getting somebody who can.
If you are a bully:
- Think about what you are doing and the incredibly damaging effects of bullying. Everybody has value and deserves to be treated as a human being.
- Treat everyone like an ace! A smile and a “hi” make everyone feel better.
- Make amends with those you have bullied. Write them a letter, or tell them how you feel. Rebuild bridges that you have burnt.
- Don’t hate yourself for being a bully! Many people bully for different reasons. But have the guts to stop bullying and be nice to other people.
- If you have surrounded yourself by bullies, find new friends! Don’t hang around with people who treat others poorly.